Tucker Hall is an academic building located along the north side of the Sunken Garden near the Wren Building. It was originally constructed as William & Mary's first dedicated library building and served as such until the opening of the Earl Gregg Swem Library in 1966. Today, Tucker Hall houses the Department of English and several classrooms.
In 1905, Andrew Carnegie pledged funds to build the university’s library and the cornerstone was laid in 1908. The library in Tucker Hall was dedicated and opened to the public in 1909 and housed over 12,000 volumes.
Dances were held in the library in 1920. The building was renovated a number of times as the university and its library collections expanded. In 1943, during World War II, an airplane spotting station was moved into the library tower. In 1958, as a result of increased enrollment at William & Mary, a new library building was proposed and opened in 1966 as the Earl Gregg Swem Library. Shortly afterwards, the building underwent renovations to prepare it for its newest tenant: the Law School. The building was renamed Marshall-Wythe Hall in 1968.
In 1980, as the law school moved out to its current location on South Henry St. and the English department moved in, William & Mary changed the building's name to Tucker Hall in honor of former law professor and Revolutionary War veteran St. George Tucker.