Chancellor's Hall, located on the Sunken Gardens between James Blair Hall and Tucker Hall, was formerly named Rogers Hall, Chancellors Hall, then Tyler Hall in 1988 after W&M President John G. Tyler and his son, Lyon Gardiner Tyler Sr.. In 2021 it was the Board of Visitor's approved reverting Tyler Hall back to its previous name of Chancellor's Hall.
The building was planned as a science hall in memory of William Barton Rogers and as a replacement for the Penniman Building. The cornerstone was laid August 28, 1926 and the building opened in the fall of 1927 and housed the chemistry, physics, and psychology departments.
The building was renovated in the summer of 1980 for the School of Business Administration. In 1985 the basement was renovated to house the Professional Resources Facility, a research library, and office space. The Departments of History, Philosophy, and English have all been housed in this building at some point in its history. The School of Business left in July 2009 to move to its current location in Alan B. Miller Hall.