James Blair Hall, Constructed 1934-1935
James Blair Hall, known as Marshall-Wythe Hall until 1968, is located on the west end of the Sunken Gardens. It currently houses the Philosophy and History departments as well as some administrative offices. The building is named after James Blair, founder and first President of William & Mary from 1693-1743.
The building was constructed as part of a Public Works Administration grant. It was built between 1934 and 1935 and was intended to house the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship.
In 1936, the second and third floors were occupied by the departments of Economics, Government, History, Sociology, and the School of Jurisprudence. A dedication ceremony for the building was held in April 1937. In 1943, during World War II, the Navy Chaplain's School was located on the second floor.