Alan B. Miller Hall, commonly known as Miller Hall, is located at the corner of Ukrop Way and Jamestown Road and is home to the Mason School of Business. The groundbreaking ceremony took place in March 2007, and construction was completed in June 2009. The building is named after Alan B. Miller, class of 1958, founder of Universal Health Services, Inc., and a prominent donor to William & Mary. Prior to the opening of Miller Hall in 2009, the business school had occupied a number of buildings over the years, including portions of Blow Hall, Tyler Hall, Jones Hall, and the Old Gymnasium.
The first business courses taught at William & Mary were taught during the 1919-1920 academic year. By 1930, the number of students enrolled in business classes totaled 556. In 1941, John Stewart Bryan announced the creation of a new Business Administration Department. Previously, business classes were taught within the Economics Department. This new school allowed students to concentrate in different aspects of business including general business, foreign trade, insurance, marketing, banking, and finance.