Tyler Hall, located on the Sunken Gardens between James Blair Hall and Tucker Hall, was formerly named Rogers Hall and later Chancellors Hall before receiving its current name in 1988.
The building was planned as a science hall in memory of William Barton Rogers and as a replacement for the Penniman Building. The cornerstone was laid August 28, 1926 and the building opened in the fall of 1927 and housed the chemistry, physics, and psychology departments.
Tyler Hall was renovated in the summer of 1980 for the School of Business Administration. In 1985 the basement was renovated to house the Professional Resources Facility, a research library, and office space. On June 24, 1988, the building was rededicated as Tyler Hall. The Departments of History, Philosophy, and English have all been housed in Tyler at some point in its history. The School of Business left Tyler Hall in July 2009 to move to its current location in Alan B. Miller Hall.