Located behind the Reves Center, Hunt Hall was originally named for David J. King, the university physician. The building initially served as an infirmary from its construction in 1930 until 1974 when construction on a new university infirmary was completed. The old infirmary, which is now a co-ed freshmen residence hall, was renamed for Professor Emeritus Althea Hunt.
Althea Hunt served the university for over thirty years. She was a professor for the Department of English as well as the Department of the Fine Arts, now the Department of Art and Art History. Althea Hunt also served as the director of the William and Mary Theatre from 1926-1960. Among many things, she was responsible for editing the "William & Mary Theatre: A Chronicle".