Monroe Hall, formally named James Monroe Memorial Hall, is a dormitory located northwest of Tucker Hall on the campus of William & Mary. It currently serves as a co-ed dormitory for freshman, including Monroe Scholars. It was named for James Monroe, who attended William & Mary 1774-1776 and was the 5th President of the United States.
Construction began on Monroe Hall in 1923, and it opened in September 1924 as a men's dormitory. The plan for Monroe Hall was similar to the plan for Jefferson Hall save for the absence of a gymnasium and the addition of an attic. The dormitory was able to accommodate 168 men. The dedication ceremony took place on June 9, 1925, and featured speakers such as John Stewart Bryan, publisher of the Richmond Times Dispatch and later President of William & Mary.
In 1928 and 1929, a small post office for Monroe Hall and Old Dominion Hall was located in Monroe Hall. In 1931, an airport pointer and meridian marker were painted bright yellow with a black background on the roof of Monroe Hall to illuminate the roof for night flyers. While the Naval Chaplains School was stationed at William & Mary during World War II, the Navy Chaplain's residence was located on the first floor of Monroe Hall.