100 Years of Coeducation

Wren Building

While the Wren Building has been integral to William & Mary's campus since 1700, women have only studied at W&M for the past 100 years. As we celebrate the Women’s Centennial at the College in 2018-2019, the College will recognize women…

Sorority Court

Sororities played a unique role in helping women matriculate into W&M after the College began accepting women in 1918. The Panhellenic sororities that have a presence at the College today - Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta…

Tyler Hall

Tyler Hall is home to William & Mary’s Government and Economics Departments as well as the International Relations and Public Policy programs. In line with William & Mary’s commitment to public service, there are countless alumnae who are…

Hunt Hall

Located behind the Reves Center, Hunt Hall was originally named for David J. King, the College physician. The building initially served as an infirmary from its construction in 1930 until 1974 when construction on a new College infirmary was…

Jefferson Hall

William & Mary's first black residential students matriculated in 1967. Karen Ely, Janet Brown, and Lynn Briley - all women - lived together in the newly renovated basement of Jefferson Hall. Since then, African American representation at…

Barrett Hall

The first building on campus to be named for a woman, Barrett Hall has served as a dormitory since construction was completed in 1927. In fact, the building was a women's dormitory until 2005, when it became co-ed. Though not an alumna, Kate…

Landrum Hall

Grace Warren Landrum may not have attended William & Mary, but she certainly left her mark during the twenty years she spent working for the college. In 1927, she came to William & Mary and served as both the Dean of Women and a professor of…

Barksdale Field

Dedicated to athlete and alumna Martha Barksdale in 1975, Barksdale Field is used by club and intramural sports teams at William & Mary. Martha Barksdale was the first woman to graduate from the college, as she was a part of the first class of…

Phi Beta Kappa Hall

Home to William & Mary's Department of Theatre and Speech, Phi Beta Kappa Hall has played host to many notable female alumna and incredible performances. Glenn Close '74 honed her acting skills at Phi Beta Kappa Hall. Close performed…

Muscarelle Museum of the Arts (Lamberson Hall)

When Doris Lamberson moved to Williamsburg in the mid-1970s, she was already a good friend of Thomas Graves, William & Mary's President at the time. She worked to update the President's House and is credited with adding a separate…

Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka

Located on the edge of Lake Matoaka, the Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheater is host to many campus events. Known as the Common Glory Stage and Matoaka Amphitheater in the past, the venue was renamed in 2016 after Martha Wren Briggs made a gift of the…

Miller Hall (Mason School of Business)

Miller Hall is where many William & Mary women have found their first support networks as they entered into the business world. The Mason School of Business has many female professors in addition to support organizations for women in business,…

Adair Hall

Adair Hall, which is currently home to the Kinesiology and Dance Department, was also named after a notable female alumna. Cornelia Storrs Adair attended William & Mary from 1921-1923. Adair was also inducted into Phi Beta Kappa in 1927 and the…