Campus Historic Walking Tour

Tour curated by: Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary

William & Mary is the second oldest institution of higher learning in America, dating back to its founding in 1693 by the Reverend James Blair who acquired the royal charter naming the school in honor of King William III and Queen Mary II of England. For over 200 years, academics on campus took place in the Wren Building, the main administrative building of William & Mary. Since 1900, the university has expanded to include 30 academic buildings on over 1200 acres of land in the historic city of Williamsburg, Virginia. Take a walking tour of campus to explore the history, people, places, and traditions of William & Mary through photographs.

Locations for Tour

Generally referred to simply as the ‘Wren Building’ or ‘College Building,’ the Sir Christopher Wren Building is the oldest university building in the United States still in use. Tradition has it that it was designed in the style of Sir…

The Brafferton, located on the south side of the Wren Yard and southeast of the Wren Building, was built by William & Mary in 1723. It was originally used as an Indian School and believed by some to be the first of its kind in America. Its intent…

The President's House, located northeast of the Wren Building and facing the Brafferton, was built in 1732 and has been used by every William & Mary president. It is the oldest university president's house in the United States. In…

Ewell Hall, formerly Phi Beta Kappa Hall, was built 1924-1926 and is located on the Old Campus, facing the Sunken Garden across from Tucker Hall. The current Phi Beta Kappa Hall, or PBK Hall for short, was built after fire damaged the first PBK Hall…

Washington Hall is an academic building located along the south side of the Sunken Garden between Ewell Hall and McGlothlin-Street Hall. It is named in honor of George Washington, who received his surveyor's license from the university in 1749…

Dedicated on October 27, 1995, McGlothlin-Street Hall was first named Tercentenary Hall for William & Mary's 300th birthday celebration in 1993. Built at a cost of $9.5 million, the four-story structure occupies a site along the historic…

James Blair Hall, known as Marshall-Wythe Hall until 1968, is located on the west end of the Sunken. It currently houses the Philosophy and History departments as well as some administrative offices. The building is named after James Blair, founder…

Tyler Hall, located on the Sunken Gardens in between James Blair Hall and Tucker Hall, was formerly named Rogers Hall and later Chancellors Hall before receiving its current name in 1988. As of fall 2014, Tyler Hall is currently unoccupied while…

Tucker Hall is an academic building located along the north side of the Sunken Garden near the Wren Building. It was originally constructed as William & Mary's first dedicated library building and served as such until the opening of the Earl…

The Sunken Garden, sometimes referred to as the Sunken Gardens, is an open area for the relaxation and recreation of our students. It is located to the rear of the Wren Building, running southwest. Architect Charles M. Robinson first designed the…

The statue of Lord Botetourt that currently stands in front of the Wren Building is a 1993 reproduction of the original located on the ground floor of Swem Library. One of the traditions at William & Mary is to dress up the statue for the…

In recognition of the lasting ties between the Tyler family and William & Mary that span three centuries, a garden was dedicated at the university on April 30, 2004 just west of James Blair Hall. The Tyler Family Garden includes bronze busts of…

The Reverend James Blair, A.M. (1655-1748) was the founding president of William & Mary. A statue of James Blair was installed between Tyler Hall and Blair Hall during Homecoming Week 1993 as part of the William and Mary’s Tercentenary…

The statue of William & Mary alumnus Thomas Jefferson was given to the university by the University of Virginia to celebrate the connection between the two institutions and to settle an old debt. Jefferson attended William & Mary from 1760 to…

Jefferson Hall, constructed between 1920 and 1921, was built as a women’s dormitory and today houses co-ed undergraduate upperclassman located on Old Campus. The dorm is named for Thomas Jefferson, class of 1762. The dormitory opened in September…

Chandler Hall is a dormitory located between Barrett Hall and Landrum Hall. The dormitory is currently co-ed but originally functioned as a women’s dorm. Upon construction, it completed the trio of women’s dorms which included Jefferson Hall and…

Barrett Hall is a dormitory located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive. It was named for Kate Waller Barrett, an educator, humanitarian, sociologist, and member of the Board of Visitors, making it the first building on…

Originally designed as a women's dormitory, Landrum Hall is located on Landrum Drive next to Chandler Hall. The Board of Visitors named the hall for Grace Warren Landrum, the dean of women and a professor of English from 1927 to 1947. The…

The Crim Dell is a small pond located between old and new campus. The wooded pond is a favorite spot on campus for many, and most iconically for its bridge. The Crim Dell was dedicated on May 7, 1966, and was named for John W.H. Crim, class of…

Blow Memorial Hall was constructed between 1923 and 1925 following a gift to William & Mary from Mrs. Adele Matthiessen Blow in memory of her husband, Captain George Preston Blow, U.S. Navy. The building was referred to as Blow Gym at this…

Barksdale Field is located adjacent to Phi Beta Kappa Hall and the Integrated Science Center, at the corner of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive. Named for Martha Barksdale, long-time Physical Education Professor and member of the first class of women…

Millington Hall is located east of Swem Library and was named for John Millington, a professor of chemistry and natural philosophy from 1836-1848 and is the home of the Biology Department. Construction began on Millington Hall in 1966 and was…

Andrews Hall was named for Robert Andrews, who served as professor of fine arts, moral philosophy, and mathematics from 1777-1789. It is currently home to the Art & Art History Department and contains the Andrews Gallery, a ceramics studio, as…

Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall, also known as PBK Hall or Phi Beta Kappa Hall, is located on Jamestown Road between Barksdale Field and the Muscarelle Museum of Art. The building is currently home to the Department of Theatre, Speech, and Dance. The…

The Earl Gregg Swem Library is located on Landrum Drive between Millington Hall and Small Hall. William & Mary has been consistently ranked in the top 10 in the Princeton Review rankings of best university libraries in recent years. The library…

Small Hall is located on Ukrop Way between the Earl Gregg Swem Library and Jones Hall. William & Mary broke ground for the 778,000-square-foot building in August 1962. The building is named for William Small, a professor of Natural Philosophy and…

Hugh Jones Hall, commonly known as Jones Hall, is located on Ukrop Way between Small Hall and Morton Hall and houses the Office of Information Technology as well as the Math Department. Jones Hall was constructed between 1968 and 1969 and opened for…

The Muscarelle Museum of Art is located in Lamberson Hall between Morton Hall and Phi Beta Kappa Hall on the new campus area of William & Mary. Its mission is to provide a rich cultural resource for the community and to pursue an active role in…

Morton Hall is located at the intersection of Ukrop Way and Jamestown Road, southeast of Jones Hall. Morton Hall currently houses the most academic offices on campus, including Africana Studies, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Classical Studies,…

The University Center was renamed the Sadler Center in honor of Sam Sadler, class of 1964, M.Ed. 1971 and longtime Vice President of Student Affairs . The name change was announced during the Commencement ceremony on May 11, 2008. To make way for…

The Sherman and Gloria H. Cohen Career Center is located between Walter J. Zable Football Stadium and the Sadler Center. This is the first independent building for the Career Center at William & Mary. The center features an open reception area…

Lodge 2 was constructed in 1947 as one of 11 housing units for fraternities as William & Mary's male student population expanded dramatically following World War II. The Daily Grind coffee house is currently housed in Lodge 2 and opened in…

With more students matriculating to William & Mary as a result of the end of World War II, a need arose for more student housing. The Lodges at the College were built between 1947 and 1948 and were rented out to fraternities. Located behind Zable…

The William & Mary sundial was probably made in London during the seventeenth or early eighteenth century and was most likely at William & Mary when it was chartered or soon thereafter. Subsidiary dial rings simultaneously give the local time…

Zable Stadium is the main football and track and field venue at William & Mary. Before its dedication as Zable Stadium in 1990, it was known as Cary Field, Cary Field Stadium, or, unofficially, William & Mary Stadium. It is located between…

The Campus Center, located at 104 Jamestown Road, is an L-shaped building situated between the Reves Center and Taliaferro Hall. It is the home of a number of administrative offices, including the Center for Student Diversity and the Dean of…

The Commons, often referred to as the "Caf" by the students, is a large dining hall on Ukrop Way between the Randolph Complex and William & Mary Hall. The "Caf" is the university’s only free-standing dining facility. The…

The Integrated Science Center, also known as the ISC, is located between Millington Hall and the Jamestown Residences on Barksdale Field. Built at a cost of $128.4 million, the facility was constructed to help integrate the William & Mary's…

Alan B. Miller Hall, commonly known as Miller Hall, is located at the corner of Ukrop Way and Jamestown Road and is home to the Mason School of Business. The groundbreaking ceremony took place in March 2007 and construction was completed in June…

Prior to the founding of William & Mary in 1693, Lake Matoaka was an open watercourse of streams and wetlands known as Archer's Hope Swamp. Sometime between 1700 and 1750, this original section of property was sold to a private landowner who…

Built in 1989, the Student Recreation Center is available to all students, faculty, and staff at William & Mary, and features a gymnasium, aerobic workout equipment, free weights, a swimming pool, racquetball courts, squash courts, and outdoor…

The William & Mary Law School, also known as the Marshall-Wythe School of Law, is located east of campus beside the National Center for State Courts on South Henry Street. Before the construction of its present home, the law school was housed in…

A statue featuring John Marshall and George Wythe is located at the main entrance to the William & Mary Law School. It was created by Gordon S. Kray, class of 1973, and was a gift of Robert Friend Boyd, class of 1950 and J.D. class of 1952, and…

The Lake Matoaka Art Studio is one of three buildings occupied by the Art Department. The building overlooks Lake Matoaka and is comprised of a windowed teaching studio at each end, as well as five faculty studios. Students take courses in…

Adair Hall is an academic building at William & Mary located next to the parking garage at the intersection of Ukrop Way and Landrum Drive. It houses an Olympic-sized pool, lounge, gymnasium, dance studio, classrooms, and offices for both the…

Located on Jamestown road near the Campus Center, the undergraduate admissions office at William & Mary, welcomes more than 25,000 people to campus each year. This building serves as the starting point for the thousands of high school students…

The Alumni House, formerly known as the Bright House, is located at the intersection of Richmond Road and College Terrace near the north end of Zable Stadium. Since 1973, the building has housed the Alumni Association, and its rooms are available to…

The Jimmye Laycock Football Center, located northwest of Zable Stadium, contains a number of facilities that support the football program at William & Mary. These include meeting rooms, coaches' offices, lockers, an athletic training room,…

The Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies, commonly known as the Reves Center, is home to the office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs, the Global Education Office, and the Office of International Students, Scholars, and…

The David J. King Student Health Center at William & Mary is located on Gooch Drive, west of the Lodges. The Student Health Center provides a full-range of primary care services for full-time students and operates under the Vice President for…

Monroe Hall, formally named James Monroe Memorial Hall, is a dormitory located northwest of Tucker Hall on the campus of William & Mary. It currently serves as a co-ed dormitory for freshman, including Monroe Scholars. It was named for James…

The School of Education was created as a distinct entity within the academic structure at William & Mary in 1961. In the early 2000s, the school's physical needs were so large that it had several locations on and off campus, and there was a…

Yates Hall is a freshman dormitory at William & Mary located on Ukrop Way behind the new Fraternity Complex. It was built in 1962 as the first of a series of men's dormitories and is named after the fifth president of the university, William…

The Botetourt Complex is a collection of small freshman dormitories located on Wake Drive across from Dupont Hall. This complex was originally built to be a new sorority complex but was rejected by the sororities and instead became language houses.…

Brown Hall is a co-ed freshman dormitory located at the corner of Prince George Street and North Boundary Street. The current structure was built in 1930 to replace the original Brown Hall, which is now known as the Prince George House. Brown Hall…

DuPont Hall is a dormitory located on New Campus at William & Mary. As many as 264 students can be housed in double suites on three floors. Until recently, the building served as a co-ed dormitory for freshman undergraduates. DuPont currently…

The Bryan Complex is a group of dormitories at William & Mary located across from Zable Stadium and named for John Stewart Bryan, former William & Mary President and Chancellor. It houses 324 undergraduate upperclassman and consists of five…

Hunt Hall, a co-ed freshman dormitory at William & Mary, is located at the intersection of Grigsby Drive and South Boundary Street. It was formerly used as an infirmary and hospital. The building was completed by September 5, 1930, after being…

Old Dominion Hall is a co-ed dormitory for upperclassman at William & Mary located across from James Blair Hall. Old Dominion Hall was originally built as a men's dormitory, and the university planned for the rooms to bear the names of…

One Tribe Place is a co-ed dormitory at William & Mary that houses upperclassman. On March 22, 2013, William & Mary President Taylor Reveley announced the university would acquire the Hospitality House, a popular privately-owned hotel. On…

Hardy Hall and Lemon Hall are two dormitories located on Barksdale Field at William & Mary. Originally called the Jamestown Residences (Jamestown North and Jamestown South), the dormitories are co-ed and are considered one of the most desirable…

The Ludwell Apartments, also known simply as "Ludwell" by the students and located at 100-700 Rolfe Road, are apartments leased by William & Mary and are considered on-campus housing. Ludwell is currently home to many…

Taliaferro Hall is a freshman dormitory at William & Mary located on Jamestown Road between the Campus Center and Admissions Office. The building can house up to 60 students and was named after William Booth Taliaferro, class of 1842, American…

The new Fraternity Complex is a 187-bed complex consisting of eleven 17-bed fraternity houses and a community building. Opened for residents in fall of 2013, this complex is located across the street from William & Mary Hall. As of 2014, this…

The Green & Gold Village is a co-ed freshman housing complex at William & Mary comprised of three buildings: Griffin, Eagle, and Lion. Up to 428 residents can occupy the complex directly across Ukrop Way from William and Mary Hall. The…

The Randolph Complex, also known as the Randolph Residences, is a cluster of dormitories located east of the Commons on the campus of William & Mary. The dorms within the complex are varied in terms of their internal structure and include both…

Tribe Square, located across Richmond Road from Blow Memorial Hall, opened in the fall of 2011. Tribe Square is a mixed-use building that offers 56 upper level students a unique living opportunity at William & Mary. The first floor of Tribe…

Sorority Court is the complex of sorority houses at William & Mary. It opened in 1929 and is located on Richmond Road, with two of the houses facing Armistead Avenue. Residence is open to a limited number of upperclassman women in sororities.…

The new Fraternity Complex is a 187-bed complex consisting of eleven 17-bed fraternity houses and a community building. Opened for residents in fall of 2013, this complex is located across the street from William & Mary Hall. As of 2014, this…

The James Monroe statue, located outside Tucker Hall just south of the Senior Walk, was dedicated on April 23, 2015. The statue was a gift of William & Mary alumni Carroll and Patty Owen in honor of the class of 1962. The bronze statue shows…

Dedicated in October 2001, the William & Mary Keck Environmental Field Laboratory is an academic facility that provides instructional and research support for environmental programs at William & Mary and at the Virginia Institute of Marine…

"Spring" is a sculpture by J. Seward Johnson that was installed at William & Mary in 1979. At some time prior to 1991, the letter held by the figure Tina in the sculpture was broken off. A transcription of the letter from…
comments powered by Disqus