Monroe Hall, Constructed 1923-1924

Monroe Hall, formally named James Monroe Memorial Hall, is a dormitory located northwest of Tucker Hall on the campus of William & Mary. It currently serves as a co-ed dormitory for freshman, including Monroe Scholars. It was named for James Monroe, who attended William & Mary 1774-1776 and was the 5th President of the United States.

Construction began on Monroe Hall in 1923, and it opened in September 1924 as a men's dormitory. The plan for Monroe Hall was similar to the plan for Jefferson Hall save for the absence of a gymnasium and the addition of an attic. The dormitory was able to accommodate 168 men. The dedication ceremony took place on June 9, 1925, and featured speakers such as John Stewart Bryan, publisher of the Richmond Times Dispatch and later President of William & Mary.

In 1928 and 1929, a small post office for Monroe Hall and Old Dominion Hall was located in Monroe Hall. In 1931, an airport pointer and meridian marker were painted bright yellow with a black background on the roof of Monroe Hall to illuminate the roof for night flyers. While the Naval Chaplains School was stationed at William & Mary during World War II, the Navy Chaplain's residence was located on the first floor of Monroe Hall.

Images

Monroe Hall, 2015

Monroe Hall, 2015

A photograph of the Monroe Hall dormitory taken in 2015. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Monroe Hall, circa 1924

Monroe Hall, circa 1924

An exterior view of Monroe Hall facing northwest circa 1924. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Monroe Hall, circa 1930-1940

Monroe Hall, circa 1930-1940

An exterior shot of Monroe Hall likely during the 1930s or 1940s. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Monroe Hall, circa 1938

Monroe Hall, circa 1938

A shot of Monroe Hall from Richmond Road circa 1938. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Monroe Attic, circa 1970-1980

Monroe Attic, circa 1970-1980

Four students playing ping pong in the attic of Monroe Hall, likely taken in the 1970s. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Monroe Lounge, circa 1970-1980

Monroe Lounge, circa 1970-1980

Students in the first floor lounge of Monroe Hall circa 1970s. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Monroe Hall, undated

Monroe Hall, undated

An undated image of the entrance to Monroe Hall. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

James Monroe, undated

James Monroe, undated

A pencil sketch of James Monroe by John Vanderlyn. Monroe was the fifth President of the United States and attended William & Mary from 1774-1776. | Source: James Monroe Papers, Mss. 39.1 M75. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary., “Monroe Hall, Constructed 1923-1924,” TribeTrek, accessed June 23, 2017, http://tribetrek.wm.edu/items/show/60.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story