Dupont Hall, Constructed 1963-1965

DuPont Hall is a dormitory located on New Campus at William & Mary. As many as 264 students can be housed in double suites on three floors. Until recently, the building served as a co-ed dormitory for freshman undergraduates. DuPont currently houses upperclassman.

Construction on DuPont Hall began in 1963 when the Harry B. Graham Co. received a $996,997 contract. The Board of Visitors named the building for Jessie Ball DuPont, benefactress of William & Mary and daughter of Thomas Ball, an alumnus . . The official dedication ceremony for the dormitory was held on May 8, 1966. The dormitory went coed and began to house freshman men in 1976.

Images

Dupont Hall, 2015

Dupont Hall, 2015

A 2015 image of the dormitory Dupont Hall. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

DuPont Hall interior, circa 1964

DuPont Hall interior, circa 1964

An interior photo of DuPont Hall, circa 1964, featuring female students talking near the sunken fireplace. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

DuPont Hall, 1966

DuPont Hall, 1966

A front view of the center wing of DuPont Hall from May 1966. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Dupont Hall Dedication, 1966

Dupont Hall Dedication, 1966

Jean Kemp, Dupont Hall student president, and Mrs. Denise du Pont Zapfte holding a picture of Mrs. Jessie Ball DuPont at the dedication of DuPont Hall on May 8, 1966. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

DuPont Hall, 1996

DuPont Hall, 1996

A rear view of the east wing of DuPont Hall in May 1966. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Jessie Ball duPont receiving honorary degree, 1954

Jessie Ball duPont receiving honorary degree, 1954

Jessie Ball duPont, for whom DuPont Hall is named after, receiving her honorary degree at the Marshall-Wythe Blackstone ceremony on September 25, 1954. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary., “Dupont Hall, Constructed 1963-1965,” TribeTrek, accessed June 23, 2017, http://tribetrek.wm.edu/items/show/59.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story