Student Health Center, Constructed 1972-1973

The David J. King Student Health Center at William & Mary is located on Gooch Drive, west of the Lodges. The Student Health Center provides a full-range of primary care services for full-time students and operates under the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Prior to 1972, David King Infirmary was located in the building now known as Hunt Hall. The Eastern Construction Company of Tabb, Virginia, was contracted to build the Health Center in 1972. William & Mary wanted the health center to have 18 beds and emphasize the diagnostic and out-patient service of the facility. The building was completed in 1973 and was named the David J. King Student Health Center. A 1,120 square foot addition to the Health Center in 1980 included offices, an examining room, and a pharmacy.

Images

Student Health Center, 2015

Student Health Center, 2015

A 2015 photograph of the Student Health Center, located near the Lodges and Sadler Center. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Student Health Center under construction, 1972

Student Health Center under construction, 1972

The construction of the Student Health Center in 1972. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Student Health Center, undated

Student Health Center, undated

An undated photograph of the front exterior of the Student Health Center. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Student Health Center, undated

Student Health Center, undated

An undated photograph of the exterior of the Student Health Center. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Student Health Center interior, undated

Student Health Center interior, undated

An undated interior photograph of the lobby area of the Student Health Center. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Dr. David King with Alf Johnson Mapp, 1918

Dr. David King with Alf Johnson Mapp, 1918

Dr. David King (right) and Alf Johnson Mapp (left) in an informal pose from September of 1918. The Student Health Center is named in honor of King, and replaced the David King Infirmary, which had been located in what is today Hunt Hall. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary., “Student Health Center, Constructed 1972-1973,” TribeTrek, accessed June 23, 2017, http://tribetrek.wm.edu/items/show/53.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story