Zable Stadium is the main football and track and field venue at William & Mary. Before its dedication as Zable Stadium in 1990, it was known as Cary Field, Cary Field Stadium, or, unofficially, William & Mary Stadium. It is located between the Cohen Career Center and the Alumni House, alongside the Jimmye Laycock Football Center.

Cary Field, now the location of Zable Stadium, was named in honor of T. Archibald Cary of Richmond, Virginia, and his father, John B. Cary, both members of the Board of Visitors. Cary Field was constructed from 1907 to 1909, and the stadium was built in 1935. The Board of Visitors approved the present name at their November 2, 1990, meeting. In 1996, the north gate facing Richmond Road was named the John Harvard Randolph '64 Alumni Gate.

The stadium is named after Walter J. Zable, class of 1937, president and chief executive officer of the Cubic Corporation, and his wife, Betty C. Zable, class of 1940. Walter Zable was a track and football star during his time at William & Mary.

Images

Map