Sundial, Constructed 1975

The William & Mary sundial was probably made in London during the seventeenth or early eighteenth century and was most likely at William & Mary when it was chartered or soon thereafter. Subsidiary dial rings simultaneously give the local time for six world locations indicating the sundial was made with a cultural or “world-view” intent.

The earliest reference to the sundial indicates it was located on a wooden pedestal in front of the President's House in 1815. It was removed during the Civil War by Union Chaplain William H. Gilder for protection and returned in 1889. In 1912, it was moved behind the Wren Building between Science Hall and the library and placed on a sandstone pedestal, a gift of the staff of the Flat Hat, to commemorate the first year of its publication.

In 1971, a fiberglass replica of the sundial was created by George Crawford of the Physics Department in 1975. It was later replaced by the present bronze replica. The original sundial was restored and placed in Swem Library. It is currently on display in the Special Collections Research Center's reading room in Swem Library.

Images

Sundial, 2015

Sundial, 2015

A 2015 photograph of the sundial as it sits in the heart of New Campus. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Sundial Plaque, undated

Sundial Plaque, undated

The plaque associated with the sundial on New Campus. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Sundial, undated

Sundial, undated

Photograph of the sundial outside Swem Library, undated. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Sundial in front of Millington Hall, undated

Sundial in front of Millington Hall, undated

The Sundial on New Campus with Millington Hall in the background. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Sundial, circa 1980

Sundial, circa 1980

Photograph of the sundial with Swem Library in the background, circa 1980. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Aerial of Sundial on New Campus, circa 1985

Aerial of Sundial on New Campus, circa 1985

An aerial view, circa 1985, of New Campus featuring the sundial in the center and Millington Hall in the background. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Sundial, undated

Sundial, undated

An undated image of the top of the sundial on New Campus. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Sundial close-up, undated

Sundial close-up, undated

A close-up shot of the top of the sundial featuring locations. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Sundial, circa 2005

Sundial, circa 2005

Photograph of the sundial with front entrance of Swem Library in background, circa 2005 | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Special Collections, Swem Library, College of William and Mary., “Sundial, Constructed 1975,” TribeTrek, accessed June 23, 2017, http://tribetrek.wm.edu/items/show/35.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story