With more students matriculating to William & Mary as a result of the end of World War II, a need arose for more student housing. The Lodges at the College were built between 1947 and 1948 and were rented out to fraternities. Located behind Zable Stadium, these cottage-style residences became the most desired housing choice among upperclassman. In 1994, Lodges 1, 3, 5 were demolished to make way for the new University Center, renamed the Sadler Center in 2008.
Each Lodge houses seven people (2 doubles and 1 triple) and is restricted to either all male or female. Residents of the Lodges have a living/dining area as well as a front porch and back patio and are only a few steps from the Sadler Center. The Daily Grind coffee shop is currently located in Lodge 2.