Morton Hall, Constructed 1970-1972

Morton Hall is located at the intersection of Ukrop Way and Jamestown Road, southeast of Jones Hall. Morton Hall currently houses the most academic offices on campus, including Africana Studies, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Classical Studies, Economics, Gender Sexuality and Women's Studies, Global Studies, Government, International Relations, Sociology, and the Thomas Jefferson Program in Public Policy.

Morton Hall opened for use in 1972 and housed the Marshall-Wythe Institute, the John Marshall Papers, and the Departments of History, Sociology, Government, and Economics. It was dedicated in December 1973 as Richard Lee Morton Hall to honor the long-time William & Mary professor and historian. Ever since Morton Hall was constructed, there have been countless renovations to help maintain it.

Images

Morton Hall, 2015

Morton Hall, 2015

A photograph of the exterior of Morton Hall taken in 2015. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Morton Hall, undated

Morton Hall, undated

The exterior of Morton Hall. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Morton Hall, circa 1972

Morton Hall, circa 1972

Morton Hall shortly after opening in 1972. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Morton Hall, undated

Morton Hall, undated

An undated image of Morton Hall. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Morton Hall interior, undated

Morton Hall interior, undated

An undated image of grad student Cathy Smylie in a letter-quality printing room in Morton Hall. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary. View File Details Page

Dr. Richard Lee Morton, undated

Dr. Richard Lee Morton, undated

An undated image of Dr. Richard Lee Morton outside Morton Hall. Morton was Associate Professor of History and Political Science from 1919 to 1922, Professor of History and Political Science from 1922 to 1959, and Chancellor Professor of History, Emeritus, from 1959 from 1968. At Charter Day in 1965, Morton was awarded an honorary degree (LL.D.) from William & Mary. | Source: University Archives Photograph Collection, UA 8. | Creator: College of William and Mary View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary., “Morton Hall, Constructed 1970-1972,” TribeTrek, accessed June 23, 2017, http://tribetrek.wm.edu/items/show/33.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story